Hit Counter

Content View Hits : 4591913

Polls

What do you think of our website?
 

CI Features

 

CI News

 

Murals for Gilford | Print |

 "The Department for Social Development working with the ABC Council funded and supported an intergenerational project. The children from the Gilford Youth Club worked jointly with Kindred Spirits, over 50s club and artist Tim McCarthy to design and develop a mural which is now situated at the former Lunny's site and at the start of the Stramore road.

In designing the mural the artist Tim researched Gilford history.  He spent time with local historian Plunket Campbell, he met with Kindred Spirits club members and he worked with the children from the Youth Club from which he learnt stories of the past, details of characters, history of the village and through the eyes of the children what they want their village to look like going forward.  Tim cleverly made the link from Dunbar McMasters days in the village right through to today's Gilford.

Speaking at the launch of the mural Lord Mayor Darryn Causby congratulated the Youth Club, Kindred Spirits and Tim McCarthy on an excellent piece of community work. Short speeches were made by Catherine McInearney, DSD, Mary Quinn, Kindred Spirits, Lynsey Mead, Gilford Youth Club and Tim McCarthy Artist.

Also attending the launch was Councillor Jonathan Buckley and Sydney Anderson MLA."

MURALS 1

 Artist Tim McCarthy with Mary Quinn and Robert Stockley

IMG 1682

Lord Mayor Darryn Causby chatting to Ruth McBurney

Mural01

Mural02

 

Mural03

 

Mural04

 

Mural10

 

Mural05

http://nifootball.blogspot.co.uk/2006/12/charlie-gallogly.html

 

Mural06

 This magnificient piece of art shows Hguh Dunbar on the left, looking to the future. The children from the past linking with the children of today - and they are linked by a skipping rope made from the thread from the Mill. In the distance, on the right, you can see the new bridge to the Community Centre, once again linking the old with the new. 

Mural07

"Magill's Ford"
Captain John Magill acquired land in the Tullylish area and founded Gilford, the name of the village being derived from "Magill’s ford". He afterwards became Sir John Magill and built Gill Hall in Dromore, County Down. The Magill lands passed by marriage to the Meade family, who were created Barons Gillford in 1766 and later earls of Clanwilliam. http://www.gilfordcommunityforum.com/local-notices-2/about/gilford-history/

Mural09

 

Mural08

 

 

 

facebook_logotwitter-logo

Who's Online

We have 114 guests online

Newsflash

alt
 
alt
 
 

crucifix

 

WHO? WHAT? WHERE?

Funeral Directors

Quinn Bros Funeral Services logo 418x128

McAlinden Murtagh newsflash

j mclearnon.

Nesbitt Memorials web ad

 Lillie1

 

 


L.L.T.C.A
.

CHECK OUT WHAT'S
HAPPENING AT THE
CENTRE

 

G.A.A.
County Draw Winners

button_push_click_me_md_clr

 
Designed and developed by Getonline